Honest Air and Heat
Air Conditioning & Heating Service
Long Beach, Mississippi
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Long Beach, Mississippi Long Beach is a city (incorporated August 10, 1905) located in Harrison County, Mississippi, United States. It is part of the Gulfport–Biloxi Metropolitan Statistical Area. As of the 2010 census, the city had a population of 14,792.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 10.4 square miles (26.9 km2), of which 10.0 square miles (25.9 km2) is land and 0.39 square miles (1.0 km2), 3.74% is water.
Long Beach is east of Pass Christian and west of Gulfport, along the Gulf of Mexico
U.S. Decennial Census
As of the census of 2000, there were 17,320 people, 6,560 households, and 4,696 families residing in the city. The population density is 1,713.6 people per square mile (661.5/km²). There were 7,203 housing units at an average density of 712.6 per square mile (275.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 87.49% White, 7.36% African American, 0.39% Native American, 2.57% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 0.68% from other races, and 1.44% from two or more races. 2.29% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 6,560 households out of which 36.2% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.8% were married couples living together, 13.5% have a female householder with no husband present, and 28.4% were non-families. 22.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.7% had someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.61 and the average family size is 3.07.
In the city, the population dispersal was 27.1% under the age of 18, 9.1% from 18 to 24, 29.8% from 25 to 44, 22.8% from 45 to 64, and 11.2% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 93.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.7 males. The median income for a household in the city was $43,289, and the median income for a family was $50,014. Males had a median income of $35,909 versus $24,119 for females. The per capita income for the city was $19,305. 9.0% of the population and 7.7% of families were below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 15.2% of those under the age of 18 and 3.7% of those 65 and older were living below the poverty line.
The city of Long Beach is served by the Long Beach School District. The district operates five campuses and has an enrollment of approximately 2,700 students. These campuses include Long Beach High School, Long Beach Middle School, Reeves Elementary School, Quarles Elementary School, and Harper McCaughan Elementary School, rebuilt in a new location after the previous school was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina.
Long Beach High has a long-standing tradition of excellence. It offers rigorous academics including college preparatory classes, advanced placement classes and award-winning vocational classes. In 2007 Long Beach High School was named a National Blue Ribbon School by the U.S. Department of Education, making it one of four schools in Mississippi and one of about 273 private and public schools in the United States to receive this honor.
The Gulf Coast campus of the University of Southern Mississippi is located in Long Beach along Beach Boulevard. The Friendship Oak tree is located on the front lawn of the Southern Miss Gulf Park campus.
The early 1900s
Long Beach began as an agricultural town, based around its radish industry. But on August 10, 1905, Long Beach incorporated and became another city on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. As the years went on, the city moved from its agricultural heritage and moved toward tourism with the beach and high-rise condominiums becoming increasingly popular.
"The Radish capital of the world"
Long Beach's early economy was based largely upon radishes. Logging initially drove the local economy, but when the area's virgin yellow pine forests became depleted, row crops were planted on the newly cleared land.
A productive truck farming town in the early 20th century, citizens of Long Beach proclaimed the city to be the "Radish Capital of the World". The city was especially known for its cultivation of the Long Red radish variety, a favorite beer hall staple in the northern US at the time. In 1921, a bumper crop resulted in the shipment of over 300 train loads of Long Beach's Long Red radishes to northern states.
Eventually, the Long Red radishes for which Long Beach was known fell into disfavor, and the rise of the common button radish caused a dramatic decline in the cultivation of this crop in the area.
The impact of Hurricane Katrina on the Long Beach shoreline
Nineteen days following the city's centennial, Hurricane Katrina struck the city on August 29, 2005, destroying almost all buildings within 500 meters (1,600 ft) of the Gulf of Mexico shoreline.[not in citation given] Many Long Beach residents were left homeless or living in water and or wind damaged houses.The city of Long Beach, California, held a fund raiser to help its eponymous relative.The city of Peoria, Arizona, adopted Long Beach and provided both public and private resources. This resulted in a close relationship between the two communities.
Biloxi, is a city in Harrison County, Mississippi. The 2010 United States Census recorded the population as 44,054. Along with the adjoining city of Gulfport, Biloxi is a county seat of Harrison County.
The city is part of the Gulfport-Biloxi metropolitan area and the Gulfport-Biloxi-Pascagoula, Mississippi Combined Statistical Area. Pre-Katrina, Biloxi was the third largest city in Mississippi behind Jackson and Gulfport. Post-Katrina, the population of Biloxi decreased, and it became the fifth largest city in the state, being surpassed by Hattiesburg and Southaven.
The beachfront of Biloxi lies directly on the Mississippi Sound, with barrier islands scattered off the coast and into the Gulf of Mexico. Keesler Air Force Base lies within the city and is home to the 81st Training Wing and the 403d Wing of the U.S. Air Force Reserve.
The first permanent settlement in French Louisiana was founded at Fort Maurepas, now in Ocean Springs, Mississippi, and referred to as Old Biloxi, in 1699 under the direction of Pierre Le Moyne d'Iberville, with Louisiana separated from Spanish Florida at the Perdido River near Pensacola (founded 1559 and again in 1698).
The name of Biloxi in French was "Bilocci" (with "fort Maurepas"),;on maps dated circa year 1710/1725 the name was sometimes translated into English as "Fort Bilocci".
In 1720, the administrative capital of French Louisiana was moved to Biloxi (or Bilocci) from Mobile (or Mobille). French Louisiana (part of New France) was known in French as La Louisiane in colonial times, but in modern times is called "La Louisiane française" to distinguish from the modern state of Louisiana (also "Louisiane" in French).
Due to fears of tides and hurricanes in the 18th century, the capital of French Louisiana was later moved by colonial governor Bienville, in 1723, from Biloxi to a new inland harbor town named La Nouvelle-Orléans (New Orleans), built for the purpose in 1718–1720.
In 1763, following Great Britain's victory in the Seven Years' War, France had to cede French Louisiana east of the Mississippi River, except for New Orleans, to Great Britain, as part of the Treaty of Paris. At that same time, Louisiana west of the Mississippi, including New Orleans, was ceded to Spain as part of the Treaty of Fontainebleau.
British rule persisted from 1763 to 1779, followed by Spanish rule from 1779 to 1810. Despite this, the character of Biloxi remained mostly French. In 1811, Biloxi came under United States of America control as part of the Mississippi Territory. Mississippi, and Biloxi with it, were then admitted to the union in 1817.
Biloxi began to grow. It became a summer resort, with the advantages of close proximity to New Orleans and ease of access via water. Summer homes were built by well-to-do farmers and commercial figures. Hotels and rental cottages came into existence to serve those who could not afford their own homes.
One of Biloxi's most known features has been the Biloxi Lighthouse, which was built in Baltimore and then shipped south and completed in May 1848. (It and another are the only surviving lighthouses of twelve that once dotted the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
In the early stages of the Civil War, Ship Island was captured by Union forces, which led to the effective Union capture of Biloxi as well. No major battles were fought in the area, and Biloxi did not suffer direct damage from the war. Some local Union sentiment could be discerned following the war's conclusion.
In the postbellum period, Biloxi again emerged as a vacation spot. Its popularity as a destination increased with railroad access. In 1881, the first cannery was built in the town, leading to others soon joining the location. Biloxi grew again, and as different ethnic groups came to work in the seafood factories, Biloxi gained a more heterogeneous population.
Beauvoir, the post-war home of Confederate States President Jefferson Davis.
During World War II, the United States Army Air Forces built Keesler Field, now Keesler Air Force Base, which became a major basic training site and site for aircraft maintenance. The Biloxi economy boomed as a result, again bringing more diverse groups to the area. By 1958, the first Jewish synagogue had been built in the town.
In the early 1960s, the Gulf Coast again emerged as a prime alternative to Florida as a southern vacation destination among Northerners, with Biloxi a center of the focus.Biloxi hotels upgraded their amenities and hired chefs from France and Switzerland in an effort to provide some of the best seafood cuisine in the country.Edgewater Mall was built in 1963.
With the introduction of legal gambling in Mississippi in the 1990s, Biloxi was again transformed. It became an important center for casinos, and the hotels and complexes brought millions of dollars in tourism revenue to the city. The more famous casino complexes were the Beau Rivage casino resort, the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino (Biloxi), Casino Magic, Grand Casino, Isle of Capri Casino Resort Biloxi, Boomtown Casino, President Casino Broadwater Resort, and Imperial Palace. Like Tunica County in the northern part of the state, Biloxi and the surrounding Gulf Coast region was considered a leading gambling center in the Southern United States.
To celebrate the area's Tricentennial in 1998/99, the city's tourism promotion agency invited the nationally syndicated Travel World Radio Show to broadcast live from Biloxi, with co-host Willem Bagchus in attendance.
By the early 21st century, Biloxi's economy rested on the three prongs of seafood, tourism and gaming
Bay Saint Louis is a city in and the county of Hancock County, Mississippi.It is part of the Gulfport–Biloxi, Mississippi Metropolitan Statistical Area. As of the 2010 census, the city had a total population of 9,260. The city is recovering population lost due to Hurricane Katrina, and the Census Bureau's 2015 population estimate was 12,030. Like several other upper Gulf Coast cities, Bay Saint Louis was devastated by Hurricane Katrina in August 2005 The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Bay St. Louis has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps
Gulf-Port MS ,Long Beach Ms, Biloxi Ms, Bay St Louis Ms
and Surrounding areas along South Mississippi
Source From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Information about The Beautiful Mississippi
Southern Hotel in 1906, viewed from the Mississippi Sound
In 1870, the Louisville and Nashville Railroad was constructed through the southernmost section of Harrison County, Mississippi, connecting New Orleans, Louisiana, and Mobile, Alabama. A northern transportation route into south Mississippi was provided by the Gulf and Ship Island Railroad at the turn of the 20th century.These railroads provided an inexpensive means for moving passengers as well as goods, and opened south Mississippi to both industrial and recreational development.Rapidly progressing lumber and seafood industries transformed the Mississippi Gulf Coast in the 1920s, and people arrived from throughout the United States to take advantage of the economic boom. Northern tourists were attracted to the Mississippi Gulf Coast because of mild winters and cool sea breezes in summer, before the introduction of air conditioning. Besides the weather, other tourist attractions included restaurants, swimming, golf, schooner races, sailing to islands, and fishing. During this period of economic expansion, grand hotels were Developed along the Mississippi Gulf Coast to accommodate businessmen, tourists, and transient workers. Most of these grand hotels no longer exist; and of the two structures that were still standing after the first decade of the 21st century, neither served as a lodging establishment. Together, these grand hotels represented an important era in the history of the Mississippi Gulf Coast throughout the 20th century.
Great Southern Hotel (Gulfport)
Great Southern Hotel, circa 1920
Built in 1902-03 by entrepreneur Joseph T. Jones, the Great Southern Hotel had unheard of luxuries for the time—telephones in every guest room, hot and cold running water, and a bath for every two rooms. The hotel was situated within a few hundred yards (meters) of the Mississippi Sound. It was a 3-story frame building of wood construction with 250 guest rooms. The hotel had its own artesian water well, independent sewerage system, and an independent power plant for steam heat and electricity. Guest amenities included a billiard room, tennis court, horse-and-buggy rental, and an in-house orchestra. The grand hotel was crippled by economics of the Great Depression but held on through the 1940s. During construction of U.S. Route 90 in 1951, the Great Southern Hotel was demolished.
White House Hotel (Biloxi)
White House Hotel
The White House Hotel began as a rooming house in the large home of Mississippi attorney and circuit court judge Walter White.Between 1900 and 1930, it was White’s wife who transformed neighborhood mansions, connected by pillared porches and renovations, into what would become the White House Hotel. James Love, Jr., owner of Biloxi’s Buena Vista Hotel, acquired the White House property in 1940, modernized the buildings, and added a swimming pool.Business thrived until 1971, when the Love family sold the hotel, and it began a slow decline. The hotel passed through a succession of owners, and in 1988, bankruptcy was declared. The hotel was boarded up and abandoned. In 1989, the son of James Love bought the hotel with plans to return it to its former glory, but did not begin restoration until 10 years after he acquired the property. Renovation efforts stopped when financing fell through after the 2001 terrorist attacks on the U.S. and subsequently by devastation to the Mississippi Gulf Coast from Hurricane Katrina, and harsh economic times from the Great Recession. In May 2012, the hotel was added to Biloxi’s list of blighted properties, and the owner was given the choice of demolishing the structure, renovating it to meet city codes, or selling it to a developer. In April 2013, the City of Biloxi announced that the White House Hotel had been sold to a Mississippi developer. Although closed for 30 years, the hotel was completely renovated and reopened for business on August 1, 2014.
Buena Vista Hotel (Biloxi)
Buena Vista Hotel, circa 1940
The Buena Vista Hotel was designed by architect Carl Matthes with a mission-style, stucco design and opened on July 4, 1924. The Buena Vista was 5 stories tall with 200 guest rooms. The hotel was built in a U-shape facing the Mississippi Sound on the north side of the Old Spanish Trail which became U.S. Route 90. Although the hotel almost closed for lack of business during the Great Depression, it was purchased by local attorney, James Love Jr. in 1938, and began a comeback, as the new owner developed the concept of attracting convention business.Within 15 years, Love and his staff had transformed Gulf Coast tourism by attracting more than 100 conventions to the hotel each year. During summers, the hotel hosted Mississippi’s Miss Hospitality Pageant, and business thrived through the 1950s. In 1958, a new motel style addition was added on the beach side of the hotel, south of U.S. Route 90. With the construction of motel chains and the Interstate Highway System in the 1960s, business began to decline at the Buena Vista because tourists had more lodging options throughout the Gulf Coast. The death blow came in 1969 when Hurricane Camille blew out windows and its tidal surge flooded the hotel lobby and ground floor. Love sold the property in 1971, and the grand hotel slowly deteriorated. The hotel was destroyed by fire in 1991, and the property was purchased for economic development in 1993. In 2013, the Governor of Mississippi and Biloxi city officials announced plans for a minor league baseball park to be built on the site of the former Buena Vista Hotel. MGM Park opened on June 6, 2015, as the home field for the Biloxi Shuckers baseball team.
Edgewater Hotel (Biloxi)
Edgewater Gulf Hotel, circa 1940
Designed by architects Marshall and Fox and constructed by the owners of Chicago's Edgewater Beach Hotel in 1924-26 with 400 guest rooms, the Edgewater Gulf Hotel was one of the largest on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Guests that arrived in south Mississippi by train could disembark at the rail station on the hotel grounds at Edgewater Park. Early advertisements promoted the hotel as an air conditioned, fireproofed structure, and the hotel’s design allowed 95 percent of the rooms to have a view of the Mississippi Sound. In the formal dining room, guests ate on fine china atop heavy linen tablecloths with a view of the Gulf waters. The hotel complex was situated on 600 acres (243 hectares) that included gardens, a golf course, tennis courts, and a glass-enclosed swimming pool. The Edgewater Gulf weathered the Great Depression and attracted many post-World War II conventions which boosted its business. It retained its grandeur through the 1960s, but closed in 1970, unable to compete with newer hotels. In 1971, the grand hotel was demolished by implosion to make way for expansion of Edgewater Mall shopping center.
Pine Hills Hotel (Pass Christian)
Pine Hills Hotel, circa 1930
The Pine Hills Hotel was built on a 2,300-acre (930 ha) former plantation in the mid-1920s by New Orleans architect Moise Goldstein.The property contained 3.5 miles (5.6 km) of shoreline along the Bay of Saint Louis and was located approximately 1.5 miles (2.4 km) from the Old Spanish Trail Highway. The 185 guest rooms in the Mediterranean style hotel were arranged in suites to accommodate family groups. Guest facilities included kitchens, recreation rooms, convention facilities, and elevators. Outdoor amenities included tennis courts, a boat marina, an 18-hole golf course, horseback riding, and a shooting range.
Within a month after its formal opening in 1926, the hotel was filled to capacity. Nevertheless, the secluded location away from the Mississippi Sound, and the economics of the Great Depression, resulted in the hotel's closure in the 1930s. After sitting vacant for more than a decade, the facility was used by U.S. Army Engineers during World War II. In 1953, the Oblates of Mary Immaculate Religious Order purchased the property and operated a seminary until 1968; in 1969, Hurricane Camille caused significant damage to the hotel structure.
In the 1970s, DuPont acquired the hotel property for development of a chemical plant, and the Pine Hills Hotel was demolished in the mid-1980s.
Markham Hotel (Gulfport)
The Markham Hotel building is located in downtown Gulfport, about one city block from the Mississippi Sound. The 8-story hotel was designed by architectural firm Marshall and Fox. It opened in January 1927, and was named for Charles Markham, a former president of the Illinois Central Railroad. The Markham contained 180 guest rooms and catered mainly to business clientele. Amenities included a formal dining room, swimming pool, and rooftop garden. As with other grand hotels of the period, the Markham lost business to newer, more modern hotels with the passage of time. In the 1970s, the Markham was renovated into an office complex, and the swimming pool was converted into a parking lot. A second renovation in 1987 retained its use as an office building. In 2005, Hurricane Katrina’s tidal surge flooded the ground floor and hurricane-force winds damaged the roof of the structure. The property was then sold to a private investor, with no effort to repair or preserve the building. The Markham building is a contributing resource in the Gulfport Harbor Square Commercial Historic District, as listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 2011, the Markham was named as one of the ten most endangered historic places in Mississippi by the Mississippi Heritage Trust.
In July 2016, the Markham building was sold to a developer who plans to renovate the structure and convert the office building back into a hotel with 80 to 90 rooms. Renovation is to be funded through the federal EB-5 visa program.
Tivoli Hotel (Biloxi)
Tivoli Hotel, circa 1940
Main article: Tivoli Hotel (Biloxi, Mississippi)
The Tivoli Hotel was built in 1927 as a 6-story, T-shaped brick structure in Second Renaissance Revival architectural style. It was one of only four historic Mississippi Coast hotels still standing, but abandoned, at the turn of the 21st century. In 2005, a casino barge slammed into the structure during Hurricane Katrina. In 2006, the hotel was demolished.
Broadwater Beach Hotel (Biloxi)
Main article: President Casino Broadwater Resort
Broadwater Beach Hotel
The Broadwater Beach Hotel was constructed in 1938 using Art Deco architectural style. During the 1940s, the original owner operated a casino in the hotel, even though gambling was not technically legal in Mississippi. Ownership changed hands through the years, and gambling was phased out in the 1950s. The hotel developed into a resort and tourist destination with a golf course and marina. When gambling was legalized in Mississippi in the 1990s, the hotel and 260-acre (105 hectares) resort was acquired by President Casinos and became the President Casino Broadwater Resort. In July 2005, the President Broadwater Hotel closed its doors as a result of bankruptcy proceedings.The next month, the hotel was heavily damaged by Hurricane Katrina’s tidal surge and was demolished in 2006.